Friday, October 22, 2010

Maine Root

I found Maine Root Root Beer in a local upscale supermarket, and was nearly carded for it, as if with my grey stripes I could really be too young to appreciate root beer.  I wasn't too surprised, though, having encountered this before - the brown glass bottles can mislead the unwary cashier and in retrospect, perhaps she was trying to save me.

For Maine Root Root Beer is a disappointment.  First off, it's very fizzy, so much so that much of what flavor there is is masked.  Once past the fizziness, there is a thin sweetness, and not much else.  New Yorkers may be reminded of seltzer; others will simply wonder where the flavor is.

The Fair Trade label on the bottle cap represents the "Fair Trade Certified organic cane juice and spices" used in the soda's brewing.  Maine Root also supports the use of waste vegetable oil as an alternative to vegetable oil, and I approve.  So the company is good, but the product isn't, really.

Grade: 4

165 Calories per 12 oz bottle = 13.75 calories per oz (slightly high)
(not certified Kosher) 
www.maineroot.com

No comments: