Friday, April 25, 2008

Virgil's Special Edition Bavarian Nutmeg

This root beer vanished for so long that I thought it was no longer made, in spite of what it says on the Virgil's website. You will imagine my surprise and glee, then, when I discovered, on entering a Mrs Green's Natural market, that familiar half-liter swing-top bottle. I almost bought out the entire stock right there, but then it occurred to me - what if the recipe had changed? What if it wasn't as good as I remembered? Then I might have a lot of expensive, uninspiring soda ($5.49 plus tax per 500mL bottle) in cool bottles. So I only bought three (One for myself, one for my fellow reviewer, and one for - uh, in case of emergency).

Well, the product remains good, though I don't think it's quite as good as I remembered. The product I remembered would have rated an eleven. But, it's still good. It is similar to their general issue root beer - smooth, creamy, full bodied - but sweeter. Like the standard product, the Special Edition brew is sweetened with cane sugar, instead of corn syrup. Honey is also clearly present, and vanilla. I can make out some licorice, too, or perhaps anise. I think I can make out the nutmeg, but it's been a while since I tasted nutmeg, so I can't really be sure.

But nutmeg or no, this is a great product.

Grade: 10

120 calories per 8 ounce serving; 2.1 servings per bottle = 15 Calories per ounce (high)
Unlike their standard product, this does not appear to be Kosher
www.Virgils.com

No comments: